Eleven kilometers above Dharamshala and next to the Tibetan Children Village is a miniature oval-shaped artificial lake called Dal lake, rimmed by fir trees. Though small in area, this lake has a charm of its own solely due to its surrounding forest and hills. Taking a dip in the lake is considered sacred. Devotees believe that a bath in the lake fulfills any boon asked from Lord Shiva at that time.
1 Kilometer above McLeod Ganj a village called Dharamkot inhabited by the Gaddis (hill tribals) nestles amidst scenic beauty at 2,100 metres above the sea level. Besides offering a panoramic view of the Dhaula Dhar range of mountains, Kangra valley and the Pong Dam, the village once had a gallery of paintings of a well-known English painter "A.W.Hallot". Today Dharamkot is a favourite picnic spot.
At 2,000 metres above the sea level and about two kilometres from Mcleod Ganj, a modern picnic spot is developing fast at Naddi. It is connected with a metalled motorable road.It is the only place in Dharamshala from where an open view of mountains and wide valleys on Dhaula Dhar's southern side can be seen. It is also a starting point for a trek to Kareri lake, Guna Temple and Triund.There is an International School called "Sahaj International School", where the children are educated keeping in view the Indian way of life besides all essential school subjects.
Viewed from Mcleod Ganj, the Kangra valley sprawls below as far as the eye can see. So fantastic and expansive is the view of kangra valley from upper Dharamshala (McLeod Ganj) that an Englishman Barnen went ruptures over it. His description in the Kangra gazetteer is worth reading: 'No scenery, in my opinion persents such sublime and delightful contrast'. At 2,000 metres above sea level, McLeod Ganj is a place pulsating with life. it has a delightful mixture of eastern, western and Buddhist cultures, reflected in the people, in the shrines of worship and in its very name.
2 kilometers away from McLeod Ganj and connected to with a mettalled motorable road, is an ancient temple of Bhagsu Nag. About 1 km there is a small but lovely waterfall close to the temple, which is enough to sooth one's eyes and mind. Above the waterfall, the mountain side has a lot of slate quarries. It is a perfect site for picnics and recreation.
The historic fort of kangra was built by BhumaChand the founder of the Katoch Dynasty. This fort had been the centre of attraction for the rulers of Northern India. Since Long Time the first attack on the fort was made by Raja of Kashmir, Shreshta in A.D.470. In 1009 Muhammad Gazni Looted the Kangra Fort. He Carried with him 7 Lakh gold Coins , 28 tonne utensils mode of Gold and Silver and 8 tonnes of Diamond and Pearls. In 1337 Muhammad Tughlaq and in 1357 Feroze Shah captured the Kangra Fort. In 1540 the fort was captured by Khan Jahan a commander of Sher Shah Suri. In 1620 Jehangir occupied the Kangra Fort and came to see it in 1622. In 1781 it came under the control of Jassa Singh Kanhaya. In 1786 Maharaja Sansar Chand took control of the fort. In 1846 the Kangra Fort fell into the hands of the British. The Fort is located on the Banks of the River Ban Ganga. In the foreyard of the Fort are the temples of Laxmi Narayan and Adinath dedicated to Jainism. Inside the Fort are two ponds one of them is called Kapoor Sagar. At prsent the fort is under the control of the Archaeological Survey of India. It was badly damaged in the 1905 earthquake.
Is located on 32 18 north and 75 55 eat at an altitude of 2125 ft on the banks of the river jabbar.The first reference of nurpur is found in the writings of the historian of the period of Akbar. He reffered to the king of Nurpur by the title of Zamindar of Mau and Paithan. The ancient fort of Mau was demolished by Shahjahan. To the ancient it was known as Dhameri.It was renamed by raja Basu as a mask of Respect to the mugjhal empror Shahjahan and empress noorjahan. it is famous for an old fort and a temple of Brij Raj Bihari. The image according to legend was worshipped by Meera Bai. The fort is in ruins now but still has some carved relief work on stone.
A beautiful Reservoir named the Maharana Prathap Sagar in Distt. kangra also known as the pong dam plays host to a wide variety of water sports like Sailing, Water Skiing, Rowing, etc.. This reservoir is situated at a height of about 450 mtrs, covering an area of about 45,000 Hectares approx. This palce is now a wildlife sanctuary with over 200 species of migratory birds having been spotted in and around the reservoir. You can visit this Place from Masroor, Pathankot and Nurpur. This Place therefore serves a dual purpose for the adventurous tourists.
The famous Masroor temple complex in Himachal Pradesh lies nearly 22 km from Kangra and 40 Kms from Dharamshala. It lies to the north-east of the village, a rocky sandstone ridge, the main axis of which runs from north-west to south-east. An outcrop of sandstone rock, the highest central portion of which has been separated from the rest by two transverse and more or less parallel cuttings, it accentuates the crest of the hill. In the intervening portions of the rocks are sculpted a series of temples unique in the entire Himalayan region and comparable to the monolithic temples of Mahabalipuram, Ellora and Dhamnar caves.In the centre of the complex stands the principal and most elaborately carved shrine - the Thakurdwara - enshrining black stone images of Ram, Lakshman and Sita facing east. The Masroor temple has an adjoining tank - large and rectangular - hewn from sandstone. It is nearly 50 m in length and is reputed to have water throughout the year.
Kangra Art Gallery
This treasure trove of Kangra valley arts, crafts and rich past, displays artifacts that date back to 5th century. It includes a gallery of Kangra's famous miniature painting and a representative collection of sculptures, pottery and anthropological items.