Majuli is the world’s biggest riverine island and a principal place of pilgrimage for the Vaishnavites of Assam since the Ahom days. There are several Satras of Vaishnava religious creed. Of these holy seats, Auniati, Daksinpath, Garamur and Kamlabari are the four most prominent. What is of special importance is its satra establishment, consisting of separate structures, built for different purposes.
The Vaishnava Satras were founded by Sankardeva, the father of Assamese culture. The historic and auspicious 'Manikanchan Sanjog' was the first Satra in Majuli. Subsequently 65 satras grew which propagated the ethnic and sociocultural ideals. At present there are only 22 Satras in Majuli and rest have been shifted to other safer places due to flood and erosion. These Satras are the treasure house of 'Borgeet', Matiakhara, Jumora dance, Chali dance, Noyua dance, Nande Vringee, Sutradhar, Ozapali, Apsara dance, Satria Krishna dance, Dasavater dance etc. which were contributed by Shri Sankardeva.
Dakhinpat Satra was founded by Banamalidev, an exponent of Raasleela, which is now observed as one of the State festivals of Assam.
This Satra was founded by Lakshmikantadeva. During autumn end traditional Raasleela is performed with great enthusiasm. Some ancient weapons are also preserved here.
Founded by Niranjan Pathakdeva, this satra is famous for 'Paalnaam' and Apsara dance and it also has considerable collection of old Assamese utensils, jewellery and handicrafts.
Kamalabari Satra founded by Bedulapadma Ata, is a center of art, culture, literature and classical studies. Its branch Uttar Kamalabari Satra has performed cultural programme of satria art in several states of India and abroad.
It is a store house of culturally important antiques and an advanced center of performing arts. Muraridev, the grand son of Shankaradeva's step mother, had founded the SSwargadeoatra. The royal robes belong to the Ahom king Swargadeo Gadadhar Singha, made of Gold and an umbrella which is also made of gold, are preserved here.
On the southern side of Jorhat, near Na-ali, there is a tank popularly known as Bangalpukhari. In the month of Sravana of Saka 1739, Badan Barphukan was murdered by Rupsinghh Bangal when he was going to take bath. For this act , he was rewarded with some money which he spent in excavating this tank. The people do not use the water of this tank as it was excavated with the money received for killing a man.
Build in 1880 by Raibahadur Shiva Prasad Barooah, the first Assamese Daily Dainik Batari was started from this complex.
The Burigosain and the priest were brought from Jayantiya after defeating that king and were established first at Rangpur. When the capital was shifted to Jorhat, the image of Burigosain was also shifted and placed in a temple which lies in the middle of the town. It is a sakta Shrine.
Purnananda Buragohain Maidam
There is a maidam on he bank of Toklai near Macharhat which is of Purnanand Buragohain. It was constructed by his son.
Eastern Theological College
Established in 1856 as Jorjat Christian School, subsequently named Theological College.
About two Miles east of Jorhat town near the Trunk road there is a big tank which is known as Kunwori pukhari. The grand daughter of Sataialia Dilabandha Borgohain was made the Parbatia Kunwari by King Gaurinath Sinha. The Parbatia Kunwori constructed the tank.
A big embarkment was constructed to protect the Ahom kingdom from the Moamarias and it extended from Seoni Ali to Naga Hills. Having seen this, The Moamarias got bewildered and hence this came to be known as Bibuddhi Ghar.
Bilvesvar Siva Temple
About 35 Km. North of Jorhat town by the side of South Trunk Road there lie ruins of an old and small temple, along with a tank built by Rucinath Burgohain.
At a little distance towards north of Bilveswara temple the remains of Hathigarh can be seen. The Garh was erected to capture elephants. The king decided to make a town by collecting one thousand elephants. But it was difficult to collect so many elephants. Therefore the king gave up the idea and named the place as Gazpur.
Magolu Khat is situated about four miles west of the Jorhat town. The king Rajeshwar Sinha established the Magolus or Manipuris here after marrying Kuranganayani, the princess of Manipur at Manaimaji vilage.
King Pratap Sinha constructed a garh on the north and south to protect the kingdom. One part of this garh is called Mera garh which is Majhuli. Swalat garh is on the northern side and Ladai garh on the southern side.
The existing maidam (vault) which lies on the south bank of Toklai River on the northern side of Jorhat town is of King Purandar Sinha who expired on 1st Oct 1894. The present maidam was constructed to preserve the ashes of the late king.
During the reign of the king Jayadhvaj Sinha a tank was excavated by Baduli Borphukan near the Trunk Road at Teok, and it was named after Baduli Borphukan.