This is one of the entrances to heritage village Pragpur. Since ancient times, the Reru Mal family provided a water point for common use, the overflow of which falls into small tanks where the village people bathed and washed.
The Judge's Court
Completed in 1918, this is a splended country manor designed in Indo-European tradition. The visionary behind this bold structure was Justice Sir Jai Lal. It stands in 12 acres of greens, and is just a short walk from the village core and the Taal. It is now run by the owning family as a heritage hotel. Other places of interest with in heritage village Pragpur are Lala Reru Mal Haveli built in 1931 by Rais of Pragpur which has a Mughal style garden, pleasure terrace and a large water reservoir; Butail Mandir; Chaujjar Mansion; Courtyards of the Sood clans, an ancient Shakti Mandir bearing inscriptions in the largely obsolete Tankry script and Atiyalas or public platforms. The area is inhabited by many crafts people-weavers, basket makers, silversmiths, painters, musicians and tailors etc. The residents of Garli-Pragpur are hospitable. There is always a warm welcome for tourists and the area provides a safe passage. The area is round the year visitable, especially January and September when the Lohri and wrestling festivals are celebrated.
Sixty km from Dharmshala, this small village seems to hold the kernel of much of Kangra’s rural beauty. Pragpur has been notified as a Heritage Village by Himachal Pradesh Govt. in December 1997. The twin village Garli-Pragpur has been declared as heritage zone in 2002. Pragpur is 175 km from Chandigarh & 25 km from Jwalaji.
This Shakti-temple is located on Dharamshala-Hoshiarpur road on a ridge. Thousands of devotees visit this temple. In addition to many religious festivals, the main fair is held during the 10 days of "Shukalpaksh" in August. There is a Yatri Niwas which is managed by Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation.
It is situated on the Shimla-Dharamshala road on the banks of Beas River, 27 km from Hamirpur town and 50 km from Kangra. It is peaceful town with a good Rest House, an old palace and an ancient Shiva temple. This town became famous when the Kangra rulers shifted their capital here after they lost Kangra Fort to the army of Jahangir. However, it lost its glory when Raja Sansar Chand re-captured Kangra Fort and became the strong ruler of Kangra valley again. The palace building at Amtar still houses some of the paintings of that time. Shaktipeeth Jawala ji temple (14 km) can be visited from here. This place provides excellent facilities for Mahaseer fishing in the Beas River. There are beautiful camping sites for anglers. Another attraction here is the river rafting to Dehra and further. In view of its beautiful setting, there is a famous local saying "Why he who goes to Nadaun should return".
Chamunda Devi Temple
Just 24 km from Kangra and 15 km from Dharamshala is the famous temple of goddess Chamunda Devi (Chamunda Nandikeshwar Dham). At the back of the temple is a cave-like scoop where a stone "Lingam" under a boulder represents Nandikeshwar (Shiva). The temple complex is an enchanting spot with glorious view of Dhauladhar, the Baner Khad and Dadh. A vast running water pool houses the statues of Lord Shiva and Saraswati. A trek of about 16 km up in the Dhauladhar ranges is the ancient temple of Aadi Himani Chamunda.
The town of Palampur (1219 m) is situated in a idyllic valley priding itself with tea gardens, and hills covered with pine trees. The place enjoys a year-round pleasant climate and the pine scented air is said to have curative properties. The scenery presents a sublime and beautiful contrast- the valleys presents a picture of rural innocence and repose, while the hills are majestic. Overlooking this town are the majestic Dhauladhars, whose tops remain covered with snow for most of the year. This place is thronged tourists and is now being developed as a large tourist centre. A ropeway and an amusement park are also on proposed to be constructed. An Agricultural University and a Cenral Scientific Research Institute’s IHBT are pride of the town. Some tea factories are also coming up here.
Masroor Rock-Cut Temple
Known for its monolithic rock-cut temples, Masroor is 38 km from Kangra Town. There are 15 rock-cut temples in Indo-Aryan style and are richly carved. It is a unique monolithic structure in the sub-Himalayan region and is a protected monument.